Monday, May 11, 2015

Anguish - Mountain

Anguish
Mountain
2014 Dark Descent
Anguish really nailed it with the intro track titled "Mountain."  It completely reminds me of the part of the Rankin-Bass animated version of "The Hobbit" when the dwarves sing of Lonely Mountain. The intro sets a very cold and desolate mood, perfect for their brand of deathly doom metal.  Or maybe that's doomy death metal?  No matter, for the rest of the tracks continue
to conjure stark, barren wastelands and imperious grim mountain peaks looking down at it all.  I wish the mix was a little heavier and darker though.  Seems a little lighter in tone compared to the debut.  As I write that, the line "I murdered him" comes through my speakers, from "Stir up the Demon."  I have no doubt that vocalist J. Dee indeed murdered whoever that poor bastard is, and so I hope he'll take that comment as constructive criticism and not make me the next victim of his maddened rage. Obviously, as this is a doom album, and a Swedish doom album at that, comparisons to Candlemass are going to be made.  And yes, there are some very parts that sound like Leif Edling might have come up with them.  For the most part though, Anguish is a completely different beast with a stronger primal instinct.  I really don't want to dwell or harp on about Candlemass, but consider their differences like this... if they're civilized Aquilionians, then Anguish are savage Picts.  I'll bet you expected me to say "Cimmerians," didn't you?  Well, they are certainly somber enough.  But that image of a half-naked madman coming at me with a stone axe still lingers in my mind.  At the very least, be cautious with this album.  Make sure you're someplace warm with a nice fire and something hot to drink.  Beware of cabin fever.

1 comment:

  1. The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by
    insticnt. See the link below for more info.

    #instinct
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete