Thursday, November 4, 2010

Witchery - Witchkrieg


Witchery
Witchkrieg
2010 Century Media
Every few years or so, Jensen takes a break from The Haunted and puts together a more traditional sounding thrash-fest with Witchery. "Witchkrieg" is a little different than what you might have expected though. ... more on that in a bit. Probably the biggest news about this album is that Toxine left the band and Legion (ex-Marduk) stepped in. After hearing him, I can't say that I miss Toxine at all. In fact, the only time I thought about Toxine while listening to this album was when I thought to myself, "I don't miss Toxine at all." The other big news is the guitar solos from the guest stars. Kerry King opens the festivities up with "Witchkrieg." Hank Shermann keeps it up in "The God Who Fell From Earth," Andy Laroque in "Dead to Worse," Gary Holt with Lee Altus on "The Reaver," and Jim Durkin on "One Foot in the Grave." Each of these guys give their parts their own unique spin, with Gary and Lee doing some insane tradeoffs and Hank's solo just being in a class all by itself. I'm sure that guitarist Richard Corpse is trying to figure out just how the hell he's going to play those solos in a live situation. Not surprisingly, Slayer's post 1990 outputs form the cornerstone of what Witchery sound like today. But hold on here... believe it or not, there's also a ton of Mercyful Fate influences on a few tracks as well. This can especially be heard on "The God who Fell to Earth" and "Conqueror's Return." These tracks draw off of both the original Fate albums as well as the reunion era material. There's a little more atmosphere on them, but don't worry. Things go back to slam bang speed thrash before you know it. All in all, this one's a keeper.

3 comments:

  1. RE: "I don't miss Toxine at all."

    ^ This.

    An album I had written off, to be honest.

    Witchery stormed onto the scene, but then, just as quickly, were making a mockery of that which they were making their money off of. Namely, Death Metal with a decidedly Thrash-y flavor.

    But with this release, they quit playing it cute & quaint, and get down to the task at hand.

    If I were to recommend two albums from Witchery to someone looking to get in on this act, I would say check out "Restless And Dead", and then buy "Witchkrieg".
    //TB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mockery? Really... man... so what's your opinion on Cranium then? As much as I liked them, really only their mini-CD was serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps "mockery" is a bit harsh. But that having been said, it was hard for me to get past the dumb "punny" album titles, even if the music itself wasn't so bad.

    (Aside: one of the reasons I haven't been able to get behind the later-day releases from S.O.D.)

    Anyway, Cranium? You mean the Wehrmacht of Sweden? I agree: only their first EP was worthy.
    //TB

    ReplyDelete