Saturday, April 26, 2014

Corpsessed - Abysmal Thresholds

Corpsessed
Abysmal Thresholds
2014 Dark Descent
This is the last of Dark Descent's triple threat onslaught to open 2014.  The full-length debut of Corpsessed has been a long time in coming.  Right off the bat, I have to say that this album sounds like the band pulled a "Sepultura," in that their debut ep has better production than their debut full-length.  It sounds like this thing was mastered at a low volume, and there's just a kind of muted feeling to the whole thing.  Fortunately, that's what the volume knob is for, and if your neighbors don't like it, maybe they will after being subjected to it for a while.  Maybe I just liked the more upfront sound of the ep, as "Abysmal Thresholds" has more of an even mix.  All that said, this album dives right into the deep end of the well-established traditions of Finnish death metal (bet you thought I was going to say "Swedish" there, didn't you?).  As ever with the style, there is an emphasis on a darker vibe, and absolutely zero death-n-roll.  I think they took early Demigod, added in a little Demilich, and some demo-era Morgoth, and did their best to try and update the music of those bands to today.  They completely made them their own in the process, mostly by adding in an epic kind of flair somehow... as death metal bands hailing from Finland tend to do.  As I listen to this album, I can visualize what I think their stageshow could be like.  I'm seeing a very dark stage, with a ton of fog and mostly dark red and blue lighting.  I can make out the forms of the band members, but no real details.  Do not take that "lack of details" as a reflection of their music.  This stuff is very dark, very heavy, and very involved... bordering on what a friend of mine likes to refer to as an "obscure" sound.  Makes me damn proud to be a supporter of the underground and not whatever mainstream metal is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment