Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blood Mortized - The Key to a Black Heart

Blood Mortized
The Key to a Black Heart
2012 F.D.A. Rekotz
For me at least, the debut album from Blood Mortized was the true sleeper hit of 2009. It was very quietly released, and I think I took a chance on it when I saw it listed in a distro. Old school Swedish death metal, done by guys about my age, who were around for the original glory days of the Stockholm scene. Sounded like a sure thing to me, and I was not disappointed. Neither were any of my friends who I turned on to the band either. After that, we had the "Bestial" ep to sink our teeth into, and finally there's a new full length in the form of "The Key to a Black Heart." A no-brainer to pick up if there ever was one. Stylistically, it follows in the same footsteps as the previous releases, but with a slightly cleaner sound in the production.  But fear not, there's still plenty of distorted heavy riffs as only the Swedes can do them. At times, I hear some melodies similar to what Amon Amarth have become known for.  Vocals? Oh yeah, they're as savage as ever, and not at all in that stupid indecipherable gutteral noise that's still all the rage on this side of the Atlantic even after all these years. I have to wonder if anything was left of Mattias Borgh's drumkit after this album was rehearsed and recorded. His playing is so heavy and devastating, that at times you'll swear he gave up his drumsticks for a pair of cudgels. This will go down as a favorite of mine for 2012, and being the greedy fucker that I am, I'm already wondering when the guys will go back into the studio to record the next album.

No comments:

Post a Comment