Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bones - Bones

Bones
Bones
2011 Planet Metal
The demise of Usurper was a blow that hit me heavily. I had been a fan since their demo days after all, and it led to a long-standing friendship. Almost immediately following the breakup, guitarist Rick Scythe formed Nightshade, and the rest of the guys disappeared from the scene. Other than Jon Necromancer's stint in Kommandant, things have been quiet. Until now. Jon has resurfaced along with drummer Apocalyptic Warlord and guitarist Chris in a new project called Bones. Lately, I've been getting my death metal riff fix from the crust punk scene, with bands like Wolfbrigade and Hellshock. Based on what I'm hearing on this album, I'd have to say that I'm not the only one. Bones comes across as what we might have gotten if Tom Warrior had moved to Sweden and joined Anti-Cimex after Hellhammer broke up. Bones is loud, rude, abrasive and above all else, metal to the fucking bone. I can honestly say that I'm finally OK with Usurper's end. With a new band like Bones coming out of the grave, how can one not be?

No comments:

Post a Comment